Thursday, June 28, 2012

Kitchen and Vanity Details!

Kitchen and Vanity Details!

Ok, so the vanity and kitchen start out basically the same but the vanity has a few more steps because it's distressed. But basically here are the steps:
 


Kitchen:
1. I wiped the wood down so it was clean, then primed it with 2-3 coats. I used Zinsser 1-2-3 bonding primer. It bonds to slick surfaces so you don't have to sand the wood. Let it dry.
2. Then I painted it the color I wanted (which was Swiss Coffee and Broadway by Behr). Another 2-3 coats. Let it dry.
3. Then I used Minwax polycrylic in the clear satin finish as a top coat. I used 1-2 coats. I used more for places that will get used more. Let it dry.

For the center of the cabinet doors the hubby and I cut out bead board on the table saw and glued it in place with liquid nails. We caulked around the edges to make it look more finished, like they were made that way. We also put the bead board around the peninsula and I LOVE it. It's probably my favorite part. (see previous post for pictures)

Vanity:
1. Same as kitchen.


2. I painted a darker color all over, it was the darkest brown I could find by Behr. 1-2 coats. Let it dry.


3. Then I rubbed candle wax on all the corners and places I wanted to look old or have the dark color show through.
4. Then I painted the lighter color, Antique White by Behr. 2-3 coats. Let it dry.

5. Then I used a spoon (you can use any dull edge, I'd imagine) to scrape off the places where I had put the candle wax and wanted it to look distressed. The corners worked really well but some places I did have to use sand paper to help scrape away the paint. Make sure you wipe away all dust and paint particles before you do anything else.
6. Then I made a glaze out of the paint. It's what makes it look kind of dirty/old. All you do is water the paint down a lot, like 1 part paint to 3-4 parts water. Then I used a brush to put it on (it's really runny so work fast) then I wiped it off with a lint free cloth. It dries quickly so work in small portions.
7. Then I used the minwax polycrylic as a top coat. Let it dry.


I used Behr paint in satin finish and Minwax polycrylic in a satin finish too. For the bathroom it took less than a quart of paint for every color. I was also able to use less than one gallon of primer for both the vanity and the kitchen. I used normal paint brushes and foam brushes. It doesn't matter what kind you use.
I preferred the normal brushes because it seemed like the foam brushes left tiny little air bubbles in the paint and I wanted it very smooth. So there it is! I didn't take step-by-step photos of the kitchen because I was too impatient. But the end result is fun! If you have any questions on products or procedures let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment